Preserving Heritage with Historic Markers

Preserve your town’s history.
Promote historic tourism and economic development.
Provide cultural and educational benefits.

The William G. Pomeroy Foundation strongly believes that historic markers play an important role in local historic preservation by serving a dual purpose. They educate the public and foster historic tourism, which in turn can provide much needed economic benefits to the towns and villages where the markers are placed.

The program will commemorate historic people, places or things within the time frame of 1740-1917 by awarding grants to install historic markers. This funding includes a standard marker, mounting pole and shipping. Grantees are responsible for the installation of the marker.

Historic Markers in New York

The Foundation launched its Historic Roadside Marker Program in 2006 to erect markers in towns and villages within Onondaga County. In 2010, the program was expanded to other counties in New York including Cayuga, Cortland, Madison, and Oswego, as eligible grant recipients.  The following year the program was expanded to include Erie and Genesee counties.  In April 2012 we expanded the program to include all municipalities and 501©(3) organizations as eligible grant recipients.  

We are pleased to report that as of April 2017 we have funded over 380 Historic Markers in 50 New York counties! The participation and enthusiasm for this program has proven to us that our communities want to preserve their local history, and we want to help.

So here we grow again!

The Foundation announced a major expansion of the Historic Roadside Marker Grant Program at the 2012 Association for Public Historians of New York State Conference in Hauppauge, New York.   The program is now open to all municipalities and 501(c)(3) organizations in New York State.  Please refer to the Regional Grant Schedule for application deadlines by region.

 

 

How to apply