Historic Marker Text
Year Approved
Location
City/Town
THE FRONTENAC
STEAMSHIP FRONTENAC CAUGHT
FIRE HERE JULY 27, 1907
DESPITE RESCUE ATTEMPTS
BY CREW AND PEOPLE ON SHORE
EIGHT PASSENGERS DIED
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION 2016
2016 490 Dills Beach Road                  Lat. 42.804454, Long-76.704111 Ledyard
1840 CHURCH
BUILT BY FIRST PRESBYTERIAN
SOCIETY ON LAND DONATED
BY HOWLAND FAMILY.
FARRAND KITCHEL, BUILDER.
HOME TO MUSEUM 1994.
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION 2016
2016 178 Cayuga Street
Lat 40.7127837
Long -74.0059413
Union Springs
OAKWOOD SEMINARY
COEDUCATIONAL QUAKER SCHOOL
OPERATED HERE1860-1920
RUN BY THE NEW YORK YEARLY
MEETING OF FRIENDS.
RAZED IN THE EARLY 1960S
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION 2016
2016 21 Seminary Street
Lat. 42.841723
Long -76.686075
Union Springs
AUBURN AIRPORT
1941-1952 BUILT BY THE
FLYING FARMERS: LEMAN INGALLS,
HUGH DARROW, RALPH BOWER,
FRANK NUGENT.  OFFERED
LESSONS AND CHARTER FLIGHTS
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION 2016
2016 Beachtree Road and North Divison St. Lat 42.966914  Long -76.592980 Auburn
EARLY CEMETERY
KNOWN AS SUMMERHILL CEMETERY
BURIALS FROM 1806-1905
FINAL RESTING PLACE OF 
SOLDIERS WHO SERVED IN 
REVOLUTIONARY & CIVIL WARS
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION 2015
2015 Near intersection NYS Route 90 and Dresser Road

Lat N42° 38' 23.255" Long W76° 18' 56.164"
Locke
EARLY CEMETERY  
KNOWN AS HATHAWAY CEMETERY
BURIALS 1823-1903
FINAL RESTING PLACE OF 
PRIVATE ARCHIBOLD BOWKER
KILLED IN CIVIL WAR 1864
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION 2015
2015 Hinman Road

Lat N42° 37' 49.98" Long W76° 16' 39.763"
Locke
GENOA MILL
ON THIS SITE CA 1859-1942.
PROVIDED FLOUR MILLING 
ON BANK OF MILL POND
CREATED CA. 1835 FROM 
DAMMING SALMON CREEK.
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION 2015
2015 10015 State Route 90 Lat 42° 40' 4.786" Long W76° 32' 14.063"

 
Genoa
SITE OF
JABEZ BRADLEY HOME.
LAND PURCHASED IN 1794.
EARLY COMMISSIONER AND 
PHILANTHROPIST FOR 
FORMER TOWN OF MILTON.
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION 2015
2015 1049 Route 34B
Lat N42° 40' 20.518"  Long W76° 37' 10.749"
Genoa
NORTHVILLE
FORMER NAME FOR 
HAMLET OF KING FERRY
IN TOWN OF GENOA.
NAME USED AS EARLY AS 1827
UNTIL CA. 1904
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION 2015
2015 920 Route 34B
Lat N42° 39' 47.617" Long W76° 36' 58.374"
King Ferry
FIREHOUSE
CONSTRUCTED 1884 OF
LOCAL BRICK TO HOLD NEWLY
PURCHASED 1878 SILSBY
STEAM POWERED PUMPER.
BELFRY BELL IS ORIGINAL.
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION 2014
2014 8892 South Street

Lat N43° 2' 52.303" Long W76° 33' 40.053"
Weedsport
EARLY CEMETERY
OLD MONTEZUMA CEMETERY
REVOLUTIONARY WAR VETERAN
RICHARD DAMEWOOD BURIED
HERE 1850. SERVED AT SEIGE
OF BRITISH AT YORKTOWN
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION 2014
2014 Route 90 North

Lat N43° 0' 37.269" Long W 76° 42' 9.369"
Montezuma

EARLY INDUSTRY
THE FORKS OF THE CREEK
WHERE LITTLE SALMON CREEK
MEETS BIG SALMON CREEK
LAND CULTIVATED BY CAYUGA
GRIST & SAW MILLS CA. 1830
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION 2012

2012 Intersection of Indian Field Rd & Blakely Rd.

Lat 42° 37' 57.159" Long 76° 32' 42.831"
Genoa
MENTZ CHURCH
FIRST METHODIST EPISCOPAL
CHURCH INC. 1825. TRUSTEES,
JOHN GILMORE, WM. BELL  AND
JAMES WESTON.  ADJOINING
CEMETERY IN USE BY 1813.
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION 2012
2012 Mentz Church Rd. at McDonald Rd

Lat N42° 59' 44.685" Long W76° 40' 37.645"
Montezuma

ONE-ROOM SCHOOL
BAPTIST CORNERS
OWASCO DISTRICT NO. ONE
BUILT 1834 WITH LOCAL STONE
SERVED FOR 116 YEARS
CLOSED IN 1950
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION 2012

Click here to read the article "Marking History" from the dedication held Friday, September 28, 2012.

2012 4130 Baptist Corners Road

Lat 42° 54' 12.183" Long W76° 28' 4.4442"
Owasco
1ST COURTHOUSE
IN CAYUGA COUNTY, ERECTED
HERE C.1795, CONSISTING OF
CROTCHED POSTS AND POLES
COVERED WITH BRUSH,
IN USE FOR SEVERAL YEARS
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION
2011 Court Street

Lat 42° 45' 21.09"  Long 76° 42' 5.928"
Aurora
GYPSUM QUARRIES
PHILIP YAWGER DISCOVERED
GYPSUM HERE IN 1802.  THIS
WAS THE ONLY KNOWN SOURCE
IN THE UNITED STATES
AT THAT TIME.
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION
2011 West side of Route 90 at Plaster Point Road

Lat N42° 52' 2.964" Long 76° 42' 4.643"
Springport
STONE SCHOOL
CONSTRUCTED EARLY 1840S AS
A ONE ROOM SCHOOL HOUSE
USED AS PRIVATE RESIDENCE
THEN RETURNED TO CLASSROOM
USE.  RENOVATED IN 2009
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION
2011 West side of Route 90
at Stone School House,
 239 Cayuga Street

Lat N42° 50' 59.888" Long W76° 41' 36.092"
Union Springs
OLD QUARRIES
EXTENSIVELY WORKED FROM
1836 TO THE LATE 1800s
TO FURNISH STONE BLOCKS
SHIPPED BY CANAL
TO PAVE LOWER MANHATTAN
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION
2011 4290 State Route 90

Lat N42° 49' 33.863" Long W76° 41' 41.307"

 
Union Springs
EARLY AQUEDUCT
THIS TOWPATH LEADS TO THE
RICHMOND AQUEDUCT BUILT 1849
SECOND LARGEST AQUEDUCT
CARRYING ERIE CANAL WATERS
OVER THE SENECA RIVER
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION
2011 Chapman Road at the Byron Lapp Memorial Towpath 

Lat N43°0' 40.55" Long W76° 42' 35.57"
 
Montezuma
OPENED IN 1828
CAYUGA SENECA CANAL
EXTENDED NAVIGATION OF THE
ERIE CANAL TO FINGER LAKES
SITE OF CROSSOVER BRIDGE
AND EXCHANGE HOTEL
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION
2011 Intersection of Erie and High Streets

Lat N43° 0' 36.458" Long 76° 42' 12.658"
Montezuma
N. LEONARD'S INN
1798
NATHAN LEONARD
REVOLUTIONARY WAR VETERAN
PIONEER SETTLER AND FARMER
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION
2011 4195 Franklin Street Rd.

Lat N42° 57' 32.27" Long W76° 27' 48.92"
Auburn
THROOP INDUSTRY
SETTLERS USED OWASCO RIVER
POWER TO RUN SAWMILLS AND
GRISTMILLS AS EARLY AS 1798
THIS SITE WAS ONE OF THE
THREE DAMES BUIILT IN THROOP
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION
2011 Turnpike Road at the sight of the lower dam foundation

Lat N42° 58' 22.52" Long W76° 36' 0.499"
Throop
POSTAL SERVICE
FIRST REGULAR MAIL DELIVERY
WEST OF CANAJOHARIE
EST. APRIL 1, 1795
IN AURORA
JUDGE WOOD, POSTMASTER
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION
2011 Main Street, State Route 90 in front of the current post office

Lat N.42° 45' 14.256" Long W76° 42' 9.838
Aurora