Historic Marker Text
Year Approved
Location
City/Town
S&CV RAILROAD
SYRACUSE AND CHENANGO VALLEY
RR TRACKS CROSSED HERE
FROM 1873 UNTIL 1937.  A DEPOT
IN ERIEVILLE SERVED THE
TOWN OF NELSON.  
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION 2016
2016 Dugway & Erieville Rds  

Lat 42.847180 Long -75.752998     
Nelson
SITE OF
BRUCE OPERA HOUSE 1888-1909
THIS CULTURAL HUB SEATED
802 PATRONS & SHOWED MOVIES
PROJECTED BY THE BIOGRAPH,
A CANASTOTA INVENTION
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION 2016
2016 119 Peterboro St                  

Lat 43.079740 Long -75.751113
Canastota
CRAINE BROTHERS
THOMAS MADE CHEESE BOXES,
EGG CRATES, LUMBER AT MILL ON
THIS SITE. WILLIAM INVENTED
"TRIPLE WALL SILOS" IN 1901 AND
PATENTED MANY HOME DEVICES.
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION 2016
2016 1356 Beaver Creek Rd.       

Lat 42.769027  Long -75.323857
West Edmeston
LOCUST LODGE
BUILT CA. 1795. LAND BOUGHT
1793 BY JOHN J. MORGAN.
SUMMER HOME NY GOV. JOHN
ADAMS DIX. 6 GENERATIONS OF
CAMENGA FAMILY RESIDED HERE.
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION 2016
2016 115 Beaver Creek Road                

Lat. 42.774831  Long -75.330696
Brookfield
SITE OF
BELMONT POWDER MILL
EST. 1888 BY J.D. GRISWOLD
IN OCT. 1898 AN EXPLOSION
HEARD FOR 50 MILES ENDED
THE MILL OPERATION FOREVER
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION 2015
2015 3248 East Road

Lat N42° 52' 51.26" Long W75° 50' 23.39"
Cazenovia
NO. NINE SCHOOL
ON THIS SITE
FIRST SCHOOL BUILT CA. 1800.
BRICK BUILDING WAS THIRD
SCHOOL CONSTRUCTED.
IN USE CA. 1845 UNTIL 1931.
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION 2014
2014 2388 Ballina Road

Lat N42° 53' 52.49" Long W75° 50' 14.70"
Cazenovia
BELMONT SCHOOL
DISTRICT NO. 11
SERVED BELMONT COMMUNITY
FROM 1849 TO 1941
JOINED CAZENOVIA CENTRAL
SCHOOL SYSTEM IN 1941
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION 2014
2014 2335 Juddville Road

Lat N42° 52' 32.19" Long W75° 50' 38.45"
Cazenovia
MAURICE HINDUS
RUSSIAN-BORN AUTHOR WORKED
ON JIM MOORE FARM AT AGE 17
ON THIS SITE.
"GREEN WORLDS" CHRONICLES
HIS LIFE IN THIS COMMUNITY.
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION 2014
2014 2255 Faulkner Road

Lat N42° 49' 52.51" Long W75° 24' 52.50"
North Brookfield
N. BROOKFIELD
CHILDHOOD HOME OF
MYRTILLA MINER (1815-1864)
FOUNDED MINER SCHOOL FOR
COLORED GIRLS
WASHINGTON DC IN 1851
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION 2013
2013 9121 Main Street, N. Brookfield Town Park

Lat N42° 51' 4.17" Long W75° 23' 39.40"
Brookfield
SMITH TAVERN
CA. 1805-1834
JONATHAN SMITH, A PIONEER
SETTLER OF NEW WOODSTOCK
BUILT AND KEPT A TAVERN
ON THE EARLY TURNPIKE ROAD
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION 2013
2013 2032 Main St. New Woodstock, NY 13122

Lat N42° 50' 49.23" Long W75° 51' 39.24"
New Woodstock
CHURCH BUILDING
METHODISTS PURCHASED LAND IN
1836 AND BUILT BY 1840.
BECAME NEW WOODSTOCK
FREE LIBRARY IN 1955.
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION 2013
2013 2106 Main Street (Rt. 13) New Woodstock, NY 13122.

Lat N42° 50' 52.05" Long W75° 51' 20.51"
New Woodstock

CANAL INDUSTRY
IN THIS VICINITY ONCE STOOD
A ONE BAY DRYDOCK AND STORE
HOUSE IN OPERATION BY 1824,
AT THE CONVERGENCE OF THE
CHITTENANGO AND ERIE CANALS
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION 2012

Click here to read the article "Markers reveal Chittenango's past" from the Oneida Daily Dispatch.

Click here to read the online version.

2012

7061 Lakeport Rd

Lat N43° 3' 52.12" Long W75° 52' 21.93"

Chittenango

LATERAL CANAL
COMPANY INCORPORATED 1818.
CANAL IN USE BY 1824.  SITE
OF TURN-AROUND BASIN FOR
CANAL BOAT TRANSPORTATION
NORTH TO THE GRAND OLD ERIE
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION 2012

Click here to read the article "Markers reveal Chittenango's past" from the Oneida Daily Dispatch.

Click here to read the online version.

2012 204 Genesee St

Lat N43° 2' 39.93" Long 75° 51' 57.30"
Chittenango
BROOKFIELD
1816 BIRTHPLACE OF
JOHN PALMER USHER, LAWYER &
SECRETARY OF THE INTERIOR
UNDER ABRAHAM LINCOLN
1863-1865
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION 2012
2012 2390 Beaver Creek Rd

Lat N42° 48' 48.38" Long W75° 19' 1.66"
W. Edmeston
MADISON HALL
MADISON COUNTY SEAT MOVED
TO MORRISVILLE IN 1817.
FIRST COURT HOUSE ERECTED
ON THIS SITE 1817, SECOND
IN 1849 AND THIRD IN 1866.
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION 2012
2012 100 E Main Street

Lat N42° 53' 53.16" Long W75° 38' 17.78"
Morrisville
FIRST HOP YARD
IN 1808 JAMES D. COOLIDGE
PLANED THE FIRST HOPS
FIELD IN MADISON COUNTY.
BY 1859 NY SUPPLIED 87%
OF HOPS GROWN IN THE US.
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION
2011 3487 State Route 12B

Lat N42° 53' 34.57"  Long W75° 32' 9.16"
Bouckville