Historic Marker Text
Year Approved
Location
City/Town
WOODCLEFT INN
FIRST SUMMER HOTEL IN FREEPORT
ON THIS SITE 1897.  BUILT BY    
RANDALL & MILLER. SOLD 1907
TO SOCIETY OF ST. VINCENT
DE PAUL AS FRESH AIR HOME
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION 2016
2016 500 Guy Lombardo Ave                     Lat 40.641112  Long -73.583369 Freeport
SITE OF 60 ACRE GOLF CLUB
OPENED IN 1900. WOMEN &
MEN MEMBERS. 9 HOLE COURSE.
CLUBHOUSE BUILT BY WM. G.
MILLER, VILLAGE PRESIDENT.
SOLD AT AUCTION IN 1912
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION 2016
2016 164 Stokes Ave                      Lat 40.650744  Long -73.5973 Freeport
WATER AND POWER
WATER CO. FORMED IN 1894
POWER HOUSE BUILT IN 1897
BOTH MUNICIPAL UTILITIES
OWNED & OPERATED BY VILLAGE
VOTED ON BY FREEPORTERS
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION 2016
2016 220 West Sunrise Highway              Lat 40.656090  Long -73.592096 Freeport
COL. JAMES DEAN
1845-1918. CIVIL WAR VETERAN,
PRESIDENT OF FREEPORT &
FREEPORT CLUB.  ANTIQUE
WEAPONS COLLECTOR.
FORMER HOME ON THIS SITE.
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION 2016
2016 287 South Ocean Ave.                     Lat 40.647329  Long -73.58477 Freeport
BAYVIEW HOSE #3
ORGANIZED MAY 1895
HOSE HOUSE ON ATLANTIC AVE
STEPHEN LEWIS EARLY FOREMAN
1916 NEW HOUSE BUILT HERE ON
LAND DONATED BY RANDALL CO
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION 2016
2016 365 S. Bayview Ave                    Lat 40.6443651  Long -73.59235 Freeport
BENNINGTON PARK
DEVELOPED BY W. NEWTON
BENNINGTON IN 1902. STREETS
GIVEN TO VILLAGE IN 1904.
LATER BECAME AN AFRICAN
AMERICAN & ITALIAN ENCLAVE.
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION 2016
2016 129 E. Merrick Rd.                     Lat 40.6544631  Long -73.57442029 Freeport
HENRI CHARPENTIER 
EARLY CELEBRITY CHEF 
INVENTOR OF CRÊPES SUZETTE. 
OPENED ORIGINAL HENRI 
RESTAURANT AND BAR 
ON THIS SITE IN 1910.
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION 2015
 
2015 660 Scranton Ave                                     Lat N 40° 38' 49.99"N         Long W 73° 40' 16.27" E. Rockaway
SEAMAN AVENUE
SCHOOL WAS OPENED IN 1908
TO RELIEVE THE OVERCROWDING
IN THE GROVE ST. SCHOOL.
STUDENTS FROM NORTH OF THE
LIRR TRACS WENT HERE
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION 2014
2014 235 N. Ocean Ave

Lat N40° 39' 52.56" Long W73° 35' 21.27"
Freeport
ARCHER STREET
SCHOOL, OPENED IN 1910 TO
SERVE STUDENTS IN SOUTH
FREEPORT. THIS WAS AN
ARCHITECTURAL DUPLICATE OF
THE SEAMAN AVENUE SCHOOL
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION 2014
2014 255 Archer Street

Lat N40° 38' 50.48" Long W73° 35' 15.34"
Freeport
FREEPORT BANK
BUILDING ERECTED IN 1905
PRESIDENT WAS JOHN J.
RANDALL AND BUILDER WILLIAM
G. MILLER. BANK WAS
ORGANIZED IN 1891
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION 2014
2014 23 South Main Street

Lat N40° 39' 24.37" Long W73° 34' 56.26"

 
Freeport
KELBY HOUSE
HOME OF ROBERT H. KELBY CA,
1902, LIBRARIAN OF NEW-
YORK HISTORICAL SOCIETY
FROM 1898S TO 1920. SON
CHARLES WAS NYS JUDGE
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION 2014
2014 112 W Lena Ave

Lat N40° 39' 41.57" Long W73° 35' 27.22"
Freeport
TRUBIA RIFLE
TROPHY GUN OBTAINED FROM
THE US NAVY DEPARTMENT WAS
UNVEILED ON JULY 4, 1902 BY
THE DBP MOTT POST OF THE
GRAND ARMY OF THE REPUBLIC
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION 2014
2014

Triangle at Sunrise Highway, South Main Street and Church Street

Lat N40° 39' 24.91" Long W73° 34' 59.20"

Freeport
WOODCLEFT CANAL
DREDGED CA. 1897 BY FIRM OF
RANDALL & MILLER. JOHN J.
RANDALL WAS THE FATHER OF
FREEPORT & WILLIAM G.
MILLER WAS 2ND PRESIDENT
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION 2014
2014 211 Woodcleft Ave

Lat N40° 38' 2.88" Long W73° 34' 55.37"

 
Freeport
COLUMBUS AVE.
BUILT 1914. FIRST SCHOOL IN
FREEPORT WITH A GYMNASIUM.
JOHN W. DODD SERVED AS THE
SCHOOL'S SECOND PRINCIPAL.
CHARLES HART WAS ARCHITECT.
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION 2014
2014 150 North Columbus Ave

Lat N40° 39' 48.04" Long 73° 34' 40.72"
Freeport

CEDARMERE
THE HOME FROM 1843 TO 1878
OF WILLIAM CULLEN BRYANT
(1794-1878), PROMINENT
AMERICAN POET, NEWSPAPER
EDITOR AND CIVIC LEADER
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION 2013

2013 GPS Coordinates:  40 48' 36" N 73 38' 22" W