Apply For Grants
The William G. Pomeroy Foundation makes grants to 501(c)(3) organizations, municipalities and educational institutions to support causes and work aligned with our mission; in turn, striving to make a meaningful difference in communities and in the lives of patients and their families.
All grant requests must be submitted through our online application portal. Grants sought outside of our historic signage programs are considered special interest grants. The Foundation strongly encourages sending a Letter of Inquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org before applying for a special interest grant. Please be sure to include the name of your organization and the city and state it is located in.Apply Online
Size of Grants
“For History” Grants
The Pomeroy Foundation supported 26 organizations in 2018 with programs focused on celebrating and preserving history. The average grant size was $6,700.
The Foundation also awarded 179 historic signage grants in 2018 averaging $1,065 per grant.
“For Life” Grants
Health-related grants tend to vary in size. In 2018, the Pomeroy Foundation supported 10 organizations with an average grant size of $94,000, and a median grant size of $5,000.Browse Awarded Grants
Review and Approval
For historic signage grants, please see each specific program as deadlines and approval process varies. For special interest grants, all applications are reviewed by the Foundation Trustees and funding decisions are typically made within six to eight weeks. Regardless of the outcome, all applicants will receive a response. Applications that are off-mission for the Foundation will be responded to immediately by Foundation staff and typically not presented to the Trustees.
Learn more about our grant types and guidelines
Challenge and Matching Grants
On occasion, we may offer challenge or matching grants in an effort to generate community support and foster additional donations by making each donor’s gift go further.
- A matching grant is intended to encourage and incentivize members of the community to donate to an organization. It requires a specified amount of funds to be raised from other sources on a dollar for dollar basis or another stated matching factor. The matching grant is paid in equal amount(s) to the funds raised from other sources.
- A challenge grant is intended to help an organization reach a specific fundraising goal. It requires a specified amount of funds to be raised from other funding sources before the William G. Pomeroy Foundation’s grant is released. If the specified level is not met, the grant is not paid.
Historic Signage Grants
The Pomeroy Foundation offers six different signage grant programs designed to help people celebrate their community’s history and cultural heritage.
Ready to apply for a signage grant now? Click here. To learn more, visit our marker program pages:
Professional Development Grant
Professional Development Grant Application for NYS Historical Societies and Cultural Museums
The Pomeroy Foundation provides need-based scholarships of $1,000 each to historical societies and cultural museums in New York State for professional development purposes.
Scholarships for professional development are to be used as follows:
- Membership in Museum Association of New York (MANY) if not already a member.
- Registration and travel related expenses to attend MANY Conference if not attended in the past two years.
- Membership to join New York Council of Nonprofits (NYCON), if not already a member.
- One other professional development opportunity of your choice.
Criteria to receive this grant:
- Grants are available to 501(c)(3) historical societies and cultural museums in New York State.
- Annual budget cannot exceed $50,000.
- One grant per organization per year.
- Cannot have attended the MANY Conference in the past two years.
- A final report on your professional development experience is due to the Pomeroy Foundation by the end of the calendar year.
The grant application process will be open from January 2 through February 28, 2019. Awards will be granted at the beginning of March. All recipients will receive notification. Please apply online by clicking here. You may contact the Foundation at email@example.com or 315-913-4060 with any questions.
Special Interest Grants
The Pomeroy Foundation makes available special interest grant opportunities that align with our mission. Some of the special areas that we have funded include history focused documentary films and podcasts, as well as support for archival preservation. Our health related grants have supported everything from research to bone marrow drives. To explore your idea for a grant proposal, send a brief summary of your idea to firstname.lastname@example.org.