Grant Application FAQ
Review and Approval Information
For historic marker grants, please see each specific program as deadlines and approval process varies.
Special interest grants are reviewed by the Foundation Trustees with funding decisions typically made within six to eight weeks. Regardless of outcome, all applicants will receive a response. Applications that are off-mission will be responded to immediately by Foundation staff and are not typically presented to the Trustees.Categories: Grant Application
Special Interest Challenge and Matching Grants
On occasion, we may offer challenge or matching grants in an effort to generate community support and foster additional donations by making each donor’s gift go further.
- A matching grant is intended to encourage and incentivize members of the community to donate to an organization. It requires a specified amount of funds to be raised from other sources on a dollar for dollar basis or another stated matching factor. The matching grant is paid in equal amount(s) to the funds raised from other sources.
- A challenge grant is intended to help an organization reach a specific fundraising goal. It requires a specified amount of funds to be raised from other funding sources before the William G. Pomeroy Foundation’s grant is released. If the specified level is not met, the grant is not paid.
Professional Development Grants
Professional Development Grant Application for NYS Historical Societies and Cultural Museums
The Pomeroy Foundation provides need-based scholarships of $1,000 each to historical societies and cultural museums in New York State for professional development purposes.
Scholarships for professional development are to be used as follows:
- Membership in Museum Association of New York (MANY) if not already a member.
- Registration and travel related expenses to attend MANY Conference if not attended in the past two years.
- Any remaining funds can be used toward one other professional development opportunity of your choice.
Criteria to receive this grant:
- Grants are available to 501(c)(3) historical societies and cultural museums in New York State.
- Annual budget cannot exceed $150,000.
- One grant per organization per year.
- Cannot have attended the MANY Conference in the past two years.
- A final report on your professional development experience is due to the Pomeroy Foundation by the end of the calendar year.