Grant Application FAQ
Special Interest Challenge and Matching Grants
On occasion, we may offer challenge or matching grants in an effort to generate community support and foster additional donations by making each donor’s gift go further.
- A matching grant is intended to encourage and incentivize members of the community to donate to an organization. It requires a specified amount of funds to be raised from other sources on a dollar for dollar basis or another stated matching factor. The matching grant is paid in equal amount(s) to the funds raised from other sources.
- A challenge grant is intended to help an organization reach a specific fundraising goal. It requires a specified amount of funds to be raised from other funding sources before the William G. Pomeroy Foundation’s grant is released. If the specified level is not met, the grant is not paid.
Professional Development Grants
Professional Development Grant Application for NYS Historical Societies and Cultural Museums
The Pomeroy Foundation provides need-based scholarships of $1,000 each to historical societies and cultural museums in New York State for professional development purposes.
Scholarships for professional development are to be used as follows:
- Membership in Museum Association of New York (MANY) if not already a member.
- Registration and travel related expenses to attend MANY Conference if not attended in the past two years.
- Membership to join New York Council of Nonprofits (NYCON), if not already a member.
- Any remaining funds can be used toward one other professional development opportunity of your choice.
Criteria to receive this grant:
- Grants are available to 501(c)(3) historical societies and cultural museums in New York State.
- Annual budget cannot exceed $100,000.
- One grant per organization per year.
- Cannot have attended the MANY Conference in the past two years.
- A final report on your professional development experience is due to the Pomeroy Foundation by the end of the calendar year.
*The grant application process for 2020 is now closed. The deadline to apply was 02/15/20. The 2021 application will become available online in early January 2021.*Categories: Grant Application
Historic Marker Grants
The Pomeroy Foundation offers six different marker grant programs designed to help people celebrate their community’s history and cultural heritage.
Ready to apply for a signage grant now? Click here. To learn more, visit our marker program pages:
- Historic Transportation Canals Marker Grant Program
- Legends & Lore® Marker Grant Program
- National Register Signage Grant Program
- New York State Historic Marker Grant Program
- Ohio Historical Markers Grant Program
- National Women’s Suffrage Marker Grant Program