First Congregational Church of Weymouth Ohio History Marker Dedication
A dedication ceremony for a new Ohio History marker commemorating the First Congregational Church of Weymouth will be held in Medina, OH. The unveiling will begin at 1:00 p.m. on October 10, 2021 at Weymouth Community Church.
FIRST CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH OF WEYMOUTH
On January 19, 1835, Reverend Steven Barnes Jed sixteen men and women to establish the
Weymouth Congregational Church at the home of Lathrop Seymour. From its beginnings, the
congregation opposed slavery. In 1848, it adopted resolutions condemning the “peculiar
institution” and asserting that Black people are “our brother[s] ‘made of one blood’ with us.” In
1853, the church hosted public meetings featuring the crusading abolitionist William Lloyd
Garrison. A notable example of Greek Revival architecture, the “meetinghouse” itself was built
in 1835-’36 and has become the oldest extant church building in Medina County. The porch
with Doric columns was added in 1854. The Historic American Building Survey documented the
building in 1936. Struggling as a Congregational denomination, the sanctuary became the home
of the non-denominational Weymouth Community Church in 1920, remaining so until 2018.
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION
WEYMOUTH PRESERVATION SOCIETY
THE OHIO HISTORY CONNECTION