Join The Team
Opportunities for Consultants
We are seeking consultants who are passionate about helping others uncover and celebrate their local history. This is an exciting opportunity to help us expand our Historic Roadside Marker Grant Program commemorating historic people, places or things in the State of New York and beyond. This is ideal for someone wishing to work remotely, maintain a flexible work schedule, and use state-of-the art grant-making software.
- Extensive knowledge of New York State history including the creation of government and legal records.
- Ability to identify primary sources for historical research.
- Knowledge of location of primary sources to assist grantees in their search.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- Patience and demonstrated ability to work with a variety of individuals and personalities with various levels of knowledge of historical records.
- Excellent online research skills.
- Ability to use grant software.
- Preferred graduate level study in history or related fields.
Scope of Work
- Assist grant applicants in locating documentation needed to validate text of proposed historic marker.
- Assist grant applicants in rewriting marker inscription to meet Foundation requirements.
- Work directly with applicants including local governments, public historians, historical societies and other not-for-profit organizations via telephone, email and Foundation’s online grant management system.
- Communicate with Foundation staff on a regular and timely basis.
- Submit progress reports as requested by Foundation.
- Complete work within assigned timeline.
Seeking Legends and Lore® Partners
If you and your organization would like to help raise folklore awareness in your state as a partner of our Legends & Lore® Marker Grant Program, let us know by calling 315-913-4060 or by emailing email@example.com. For more about the program, visit our Legends & Lore page.
Intern with Us
Are you interested in careers related to history or patient care, particularly those facing a blood cancer diagnosis? Then consider interning with us! Please email the William G. Pomeroy Foundation to inquire whether we currently have any internship opportunities and let us know your area of expertise.
2019 Historical Research Intern position
Gain valuable history research and archival experience in the nonprofit sector as a 2019 Historical Research Intern for the William G. Pomeroy Foundation in Syracuse, N.Y.
Scope of Work
Historical Research Interns will work with our passionate team on a variety of history-related projects that will have a direct and meaningful impact on enhancing our digital archives, newly redesigned website, and online historic signage database. As an intern, responsibilities include, but are not limited to: researching, verifying and organizing primary sources; writing descriptions about the historical facts commemorated on existing roadside markers funded by the Pomeroy Foundation; creating metadata for hundreds of photographs in our digital archives; assisting the Pomeroy Foundation Archivist/Historian in digitizing and adding material to our digital archives; auditing information in our historic signage database to ensure accuracy and completeness; and conducting email outreach to promote our National Register Signage Grant Program. Additionally, interns will be assigned other responsibilities on an as-needed basis.
This internship is a wonderful opportunity for talented, hardworking students who have a particular interest in history, archival professions, museum studies, and library science. Candidates should possess excellent writing and communication skills, a strong attention to detail, the ability to manage multiple assignments, and the desire to work in a team environment. Experience with digital archives, cataloging, or data management/information technology is preferred, but not required.
Candidates must currently be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate degree program, or have recently earned their degree (past three months).
Please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org to apply.