CVPH LEGACY
- Program
- Subject
- Location
- Lat/Long
- Grant Recipient
-
Patriot Burials®
-
Building, People, Science, Site
- 74 Beekman St, Plattsburgh, NY 12901, USA
- 44.700244011991, -73.466777939038
-
Champlain Valley Physician's Hospital
CVPH LEGACY
Inscription
CVPH LEGACYPHYSICIANS HOSPITAL BUILT
1926 BY W.H. MINER TO SERVE
NORTH COUNTRY. MERGED 1967
WITH CHAMPLAIN VALLEY HOSPITAL
FOUNDED & RUN BY GREY NUNS.
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION 2026
The Champlain Valley Physicians Hospital is located in Plattsburgh, NY, and run by the University of Vermont Health Network as of 2026. It is the result of many years of expansion, and a major merger in 1967 of two older hospitals.
One half of the merger, The Physicians Hospital, was established in 1926 by William H. Miner, who was a railroad entrepreneur who made his fortune in Chicago. He returned to Chazy, New York and began Heart’s Delight Farm in 1903 with his wife Alice. The farm became the Miner Institute, known as the William H. Miner Agricultural Research Institute, as of 2026. Miner was also involved in the construction of hydroelectric dams throughout the North Country. Alice and William were also involved in the local hospital, which was reported to be in need of a new building as early as 1920. They selected a site in 1922, and by 1926 the building was completed. William Miner was the new hospitals first president after completion, as well as a hospital director and part of the executive committee. As of 2026, the original building is still present under the expansions built on top of it.
The second hospital in the 1967 merger was the Champlain Valley Hospital, which was started by the Grey Nuns of the Sacred Heart, likely in the 1860s, as the City Hospital of Plattsburgh and run as a non-sectarian hospital. The Champlain Valley Hospital building was reportedly built in 1906 to house them. The Grey Nuns were established as an order in 1738 in Montreal. They ran the Champlain Valley Hospital until 1963, just before the merger with the Physicians Hospital. When the merger occurred, an organized transfer of patients and staff to the Physicians Hospital building was planned, and the former Champlain Valley Hospital building became part of SUNY Plattsburgh briefly before burning down in the 1970s.