PITCHER SPRINGS

Program
NYS Historic
Subject
Site
Location
Horton Road & Grewe Road, Pitcher, NY
Lat/Long
42.599492, -75.819689
Grant Recipient
Town of Pitcher
Historic Marker

PITCHER SPRINGS

Inscription

PITCHER SPRINGS
BY 1843 A VILLAGE WITH TWO
PUBLIC HOUSES, AN ACADEMY,
A STORE & 30 DWELLINGS GREW
NEAR SULPHER SPRINGS THOUGHT
TO HAVE HEALING PROPERTIES.
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION 2013

The Pitcher Springs area was once a thriving village containing hotels, an academy of higher learning, a post office, stores, bowling alley, shoe manufacturer, and bath houses. The sulphur springs were believed to have healing properties.