- Grant Recipient
Legends & Lore®
- 3482 Watervale Road, Pompey, NY
- 42.939552, -75.978645
Town of Pompey Historical Society
The story behind the Pompey Stone spans nearly two centuries. In 1820, a local farmer Philo Cleveland reported finding the stone when clearing his fields. The stone, which is engraved “Leo De L’N VI 1520,” was believed for many years to be an authentic artifact from a Spanish explorer. In 1894, there were claims that two local men had doctored it in a blacksmith shop in nearby Oran, NY. The relic’s authenticity immediately fell into question and there’s been various stories about the hoax ever since.