STONY KILL FARM
- Grant Recipient
Industry & Commerce
- 343 Sunset Hill Rd E, Fishkill, NY 12524, USA
- 41.53854, -73.9353694
Stony Kill Foundation, Inc.
This land was first deeded in 1685 to the Verplanck family. It was developed and leased in part by tenant farmers with the land passing down through the original family until 1942, when it was deeded to the State of New York to be used for agricultural preservation.
As of 2021, this historical farm is one of the last surviving complete farms comprised of a tenant house, farmhouse, barn, and mansion. This demonstrates the interrelationships of families who lived on the land and worked the farm. The farm was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. It is owned by the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation although the nonprofit Stony Kill Foundation is responsible for its daily operations. The historic grounds continue as a working farm and is home to numerous livestock including cows, sheep, chickens and pigs. The property is open to the public daily.