The first Tampa cigars produced with "Clear Havana" tobacco were rolled at this site in the Sanchez y Haya Co. cigar factory on April 13, 1886. The factory, owned by Ignacio Haya and Serafin Sanchez, was licensed through the state of Florida as Factory No. 1. At the end of the first year, workers at the Sanchez y Haya factory rolled 500,000 cigars per month.
Originally erected by Gradiaz-Annis y Ca.
Replacement marker funded by the William G. Pomeroy Foundation
Erected by the Hillsborough County Historical Advisory Council, 2020