- Grant Recipient
Industry & Commerce
- 27 Wurtemburg Rd, Rhinebeck, NY 12572, USA
- 41.922676, -73.872128
Town of Rhinebeck
The first violet greenhouse in Rhinebeck, NY was built by George Saltford, a landscaper and florist who spearheaded the growth of the commercial violet industry in the Hudson Valley. In its infancy the violet industry shipped primarily to New York City but quickly grew. By 1907 violets were shipping as far as west of the Mississippi. Most of the community became involved, either working with commercial growers or individuals growing violets on their own land. During its apex, millions of violets were locally grown and shipped throughout the country. Hundreds of greenhouses could be found along Route 9G which ran from Hyde Park through Rhinebeck and into Redhook. This thoroughfare was appropriately named “Violet Avenue.” It was often written that during violet season the fragrance of the flower filled the whole town.
An industry that grew from one greenhouse in the early 1880’s to one that provided 90% of the country’s violets ended in 1979, with the closing of the last greenhouse.