E. MERTON MCBRIER
- Grant Recipient
- 94A Main St, Hermon, NY 13652, USA
- 44.466947, -75.231876
Town of Hermon
Businessman and philanthropist Edwin Merton McBrier once lived in the community of Hermon, New York. Born in 1865, McBrier grew up in Hermon. Eventually he left his home and ended up in Lockport, New York where he went into business with Frank. W. Woolworth and Seymour Knox, a founding partner of the famous Woolworth Co. Located on Main Street, it was known as Woolworth & McBrier/Knox & McBrier 5 and 10 cent Store. The business thrived and grew into a successful chain of stores. Never forgetting his roots, McBrier decided to give back to his hometown. A May 16, 1928 article in The Northern Tribune details his contributions and vision for the community:
Mr. McBrier has maintained an active interest in the welfare of Hermon and several gifts have been made by him to the village, the latest being the purchase of the Hotel Hermon and its subsequent presentation to the village. Pointing to unsightly buildings and junk piles to creek banks overgrown with weeds and underbrush E. Merton McBrier of Montclair. N.J., a former resident to Hermon pointed out the plans which he has for the beautifying of the village.
And beautify the village he did. McBrier set out to purchase vacant, unused or unsightly properties and have them demolished. In addition to local building renovations, he improved local landmark, the Keystone Bridge, and donated land to the Town of Hermon for use as a park. McBrier passed away in 1956, however his legacy and love for the community of Hermon, New York is not forgotten.