- Grant Recipient
- 7 West University, Alfred, NY 14802, USA
- 42.253999, -77.791155
A.E. Crandall Hook And Ladder Co Inc
BUILT 1890-1891 BY
VOLUNTEERS OF A.E. CRANDALL
HOOK & LADDER CO. FOR FIRE
DEPT. AND COMMUNITY EVENTS.
BECAME VILLAGE HALL 1973.
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION 2020
One of the first volunteer fire departments in the United States was established nearly 300 years ago in 1736 by founding father, Benjamin Franklin. While firefighting has evolved over the years, its main goal and purpose has remained the same: stop fires, protect property and save lives. The Town of Alfred, NY had a small local volunteer fire department but lacked a suitable building in which to house it. As a result, this facilitated the need for a firemen’s hall. This structure was of vital importance to the village and surrounding community as indicated by a September 29, 1891 newspaper article from Buffalo Evening News:
Several disastrous fires within in a few past years have roused the citizens of Alfred Centre to a sense of their need of protection. Alfred Centre has bad during the past four years a most efficient fire organization known as the A.E. Crandall Hook and Ladder Company of which Milo B. Greene is at present foreman this company is now completing a fine build for their use on University street which is to cost about $10,000 and which will be great convenience.
Constructed between 1890-1891 by volunteers of the A.E. Crandall Hook & Ladder Company, the resulting building was a handsome structure. The Firemen’s Hall was not only utilized by the volunteer fire department but was shared with the community for their events too. As of 2020, the building was renovated and converted to the Alfred Village Hall and Offices.