FOX MANSION

Program
NYS Historic
Subject
House, People
Location
2802 NY-43, Sand Lake, NY 12153, USA
Lat/Long
42.634618, -73.537493
Grant Recipient
The Sand Lake Historical Society
Historic Marker

FOX MANSION

Inscription

FOX MANSION
BUILT CA. 1847. HOME OF
ALBERT R. FOX, NY STATE
SENATOR 1848-1849 AND GLASS
MANUFACTURER. HOUSE SERVED
AS DOLL MUSEUM CA. 1954-1972.
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION 2020

Albert F. Fox built this Greek Revival mansion in Sand Lake, NY circa 1847, on land previously owned by the Sliter family. Fox operated a glass factory nearby, which gave the name to Glass Lake, in about 1838 to 1853. He also served in the New York State Legislature as a senator in 1848-1849. Later, the home was purchased by Mr. and Mrs. Raymond Eauclaire. Mrs. Eaulcaire started collecting children’s dolls in Paris in 1953 and in 1954 purchased Fox Mansion as a way to expand her home to include her growing collection. Soon after, she opened her collection to the public as a doll museum, which operated in Fox Mansion until 1972.