JACK BERRY’S TOWN

Program
NYS Historic
Subject
Site
Location
Memorial Park Clinton St., West Seneca, NY
Lat/Long
42.8552, -78.753049
Grant Recipient
West Seneca Historical Society
Historic Marker

JACK BERRY’S TOWN

Inscription

JACK BERRY'S TOWN
LARGEST POST REVOLUTIONARY
SENECA INDIAN VILLAGE
OCCUPIED THIS SITE
1780-1840
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION 2012

Formerly Jack Berry’s town, from 1780-1840, was one of the largest Seneca Indian communities of the post-Revolutionary War. The town was named after Major Jack Berry, a Seneca interpreter and Chief of the Seneca Tribe.