- Grant Recipient
- 73 N State St, Nunda, NY 14517
- 42.5842668, -77.941092
Nunda Historical Society
Lock 42, on the northern edge of the Village of Nunda, is one of the last visible remnants of the Genesee Valley Canal. The composite lock was opened in June 1851 when the canal opened between the Shaker Settlement, now Groveland, and Oramel in Allegany County. The canal boats passing through the lock were able to carry their loads of lumber, bluestone, agricultural produce, and passengers from the Erie Canal in Rochester to the Allegheny River near Olean.