- Grant Recipient
- 101 Vienna Street, Newark, NY
- 43.044559, -77.080012
Newark-Arcadia Historical Society
The small hamlet of Lockville was located three-quarters of a mile east of Newark. It was called Lockville due to the three locks built near the settlement on the original Erie Canal. In 1839, the settlement of Lockville became incorporated as the Village of Arcadia. Newark and Lockville both prospered as a result of the Erie Canal, and in 1853 the of Newark was created, incorporating the village of Arcadia. The row buildings on this section of Vienna Street are thought to be the oldest remaining buildings in the Lockville area of Newark.