- Grant Recipient
- 3976 Buffalo St, Marion, NY 14505, USA
- 43.143881, -77.191241
Marion Historic Association
The advancement of trains and railroads sparked growth in communities across the United States. This was especially true for Marion, New York. Established in 1900, the Newark and Marion Railroad only stretched for 9 miles and connected the communities of Newark and Marion. A March 6, 1907 article published in the Newark Gazette details the benefits of the railroad for the community:
It is safe statement that the Newark and Marion railroad has increased the value of farm lands about Marion probably about $10 an acre. It has put Marion in close touch with the outside world, particularly in freight shipments; the rates to and from most all points being on the Palmyra basis.
This railroad also helped local farmers, as the article continues:
Marion farmers can now profitably raise cabbage, sugar beets, potatoes and other like products, as they can get them to the railroad with a short haul, while heretofore the cost of marketing took all there was in it.
The Newark and Marion Railroad and train depot remained active for many years but eventually ceased operation. Widely considered a local landmark the railroad depot was, sadly, demolished in 1995. The railroad tracks were subsequently removed.