The William G. Pomeroy Foundation has a special interest in Ohio history. Our founder Bill Pomeroy has deep family roots in the Buckeye State. Bill is a descendant of Erastus Bowe who arrived in what is now the City of Tiffin in 1817 and constructed the first permanent log house in Seneca County. Bill’s grandfather Edwin G. Pomeroy was born in Sandusky in 1886. Researching family history has brought Bill to Ohio on several occasions. In 2006, the Pomeroy Anvil Trail was extended to Ohio when a monument was installed at Oakland Cemetery in Sandusky, the final resting place of several Pomeroy ancestors.
OHIO HISTORICAL MARKER GRANT OPPORTUNITY
The William G. Pomeroy Foundation seeks to support Ohio’s municipalities by preserving their history through historical signage and promoting historical tourism. In 2015, we partnered with Ohio History Connection to offer a Historical Marker Grant Program in three Ohio counties - Seneca, Erie and Huron. Grants provide full funding of a standard marker. Two years later we continued to expand and now provide grants in the following counties to commemorate historic people, places, things or events of Ohio’s past during the year’s 1800 - 1900: