- Grant Recipient
- Railroad Ave and Great East Neck Road, West Babylon, NY
- 40.694802, -73.34495
Town of Babylon History Museum
Built in 1874 and located near the Belmont Stud Farm, Belmont Junction station effectively connected the Central Railroad and the Long Island Railroads. It was a freight and telegraph site until it was abandoned in 1888. Later it served as a trolley stop from 1910-1920.
Long Island and Where to Go (1877), a descriptive work compiled by Long Island Railroad Company for the use and benefit of its patrons, features “The Nursery,” where thorough-bred horses were raised for racing, placing its location within two miles of the station depot. Belmont Junction itself is described as a telegraph office thirty-six miles from Long Island City. Although the source alludes to a passenger rather than freight line by stating the tickets fares– single $1.00, and excursion (round-trip) $1.70—the number of daily trains reported each way at the time of the publication was 5.