FORMER HIGH SCHOOL
- Grant Recipient
- 150 Park Ave, Amityville, NY 11701, USA
- 40.6768596, -73.417646
Amityville Historical Society
The former Amityville Public School, also known, as Amityville Union Free School is located on Long Island in the Village of Amityville, NY. As the population of this seaside community grew over the years, so did the need for a larger school. A new school was constructed at the corner of the Park Place and Ireland Ave and officially opening in 1895. The building was an impressive structure, standing three stories high, made of brick and complete with a bell tower. As students began attending classes in the new school, the issue of segregation quickly became a hot button issue in the community. An article in the March 1st 1895 edition of the Brooklyn Eagle highlights local African American resident Charles D. Brewster’s attempt to send his son to the new school only to have school officials turn him away. Despite the fact that a school for African American children in Amityville existed, this incident struck a major chord with members of the community. Brewster argued that as a tax paying resident he had every right to send his child to the new school. He refused to send his son to the African American school, pointing out that while the schools were separate they were in no way equal. After significant debate the local school board voted in favor to integrate the school district.
In 1915 the bell tower was removed but the building continued to serve the community as a school and later as a high school until 1972. As of 2020, the former school still stood and served as an administrative building for the area school district.