GHENT RR STATION
- Grant Recipient
- 2258 NY-66, Ghent, NY 12075, USA
- 42.327205, -73.618216
Town of Ghent
An important element that helped spur growth of young communities was the railroad. By 1858 the small town of Ghent, New York was a bustling railroad community. Two railroad lines converged and passed through town: the Boston & Albany Railroad (Hudson Division) and the New York City & Hudson Railroad (Harlem Division). A simple one story wooden structure, the Ghent railroad station was situated between the two railroad lines and served the surrounding community for several years. With the arrival of the railroads came several businesses such as mills, stores, workshops, as well as hotels to serve travelers, including the Ghent Hotel and the Bartlett House.
Over time these businesses dwindled and railroad traffic slowed until 1954, when the Chatham Courier published the following notice in the April 12, 1954 edition of their newspaper:
Petition of The New York Central Railroad Company for the authority to discontinue all service and facilities at its Ghent Station, Columbia County
Following this, the railroad tracks, station and surrounding buildings were removed. While the railroad lines no longer meet and pass through Ghent, the aptly named Railroad Avenue and the still standing (as of 2020) Bartlett House serve as reminders of the community’s early history.