LARGE ICE HOUSE

Program
NYS Historic
Subject
Industry & Commerce
Location
50 W Lake Rd, Mayville, NY 14757, USA
Lat/Long
42.2413356, -79.4956703
Grant Recipient
Village of Mayville
Historic Marker

LARGE ICE HOUSE

Inscription

LARGE ICE HOUSE
BUILT ON THIS SITE IN 1871
BY ADAM HERSPERGER.
STARTED SHIPPING ICE BY
RAILROAD THE SAME YEAR.
ICING ENDED IN CA. 1935.
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION 2019

In western New York, near the shores of Lake Erie sits Chautauqua Lake in the village of Maysville. It was here in 1871 that local resident and businessman, Adam Hersperger, purchased this plot of land and established the Chautauqua Lake Ice Company. During the winter months when the lake froze over, workers would harvest several tons ice blocks from the frigid waters of Chautauqua Lake, and store them in large wooden warehouses known as ice houses. From there, these blocks were transported using the neighboring railroad. This local industry was extremely prosperous and flourished for several decades until it ceased operation around 1935. In September of 1936 the last ice house was demolished and the site was redeveloped to create a public park for local residents.