LION FACTORY

Program
NYS Historic
Subject
Industry & Commerce
Location
10 121st St, Troy, NY 12182, USA
Lat/Long
42.781669, -73.673909
Grant Recipient
Rensselaer County Historical Society
Historic Marker

LION FACTORY

Inscription

LION FACTORY
BUILT CA. 1884 BY
JAMES K. P. PINE, OWNER OF
UNITED SHIRT & COLLAR CO.
MANUFACTURED MEN’S SHIRTS
AND DETACHABLE COLLARS.
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION 2019

The village of Lansingburgh, New York, located along the Hudson River near the city of Troy, was once the home to a thriving textile industry. Troy was one of the top producers of cuffs, collars and shirts in the U.S. and was responsible for employing hundreds of men and women from the surrounding area. It was at this site around 1884, that proprietor of the United Shirt and Collar Company, James K.P. Pine built the Lion Factory which manufactured men’s shirts and detachable collars for several decades. As of 2019 the factory still stands and remains in use.