OLD BAPTIST CEMETERY

Program
NYS Historic
Subject
Cemetery
Location
East Main Street, McGraw, NY
Lat/Long
42.596223, -76.092083
Grant Recipient
Village of McGraw
Historic Marker

OLD BAPTIST CEMETERY

Inscription

OLD BAPTIST CEMETERY
1820 - 1864
1ST CEMETERY IN MCGRAWVILLE
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION

The Old Baptist Cemetery lies between two churches, McGraw United Methodist Church and McGrawville Baptist Church, in the Village of McGraw.

According to the McGraw Historical Society, the cemetery was named due to its close proximity to the existing Baptist church however there was no affiliation. This was the first community cemetery in McGrawville, now known as McGraw. Its first burial took place in 1820, with the final burial occurring  in 1864. A 1986 National Register of Historic Places form for McGraw’s Main Street Historic District remarks that the cemetery is only one acre in size, despite approximately 125 to 150 burials. It also details that graves found in this cemetery were marked by flat sandstone and marble headstones, as was common during the 1850s. Sadly many of the headstones have been lost and, as of 2019, only a few still remain standing.