- Grant Recipient
- 5850 Co Rd 23, Oakfield, NY 14125, USA
- 43.120833, -78.325
Town of Alabama History Department
OLD ORCHARD CREEK DESIGNATED
A PUBLIC HIGHWAY MAY 8, 1837
IN THE TOWNS OF ALABAMA AND
SHELBY BY AN ACT OF THE
NEW YORK STATE LEGISLATURE.
WILLIAM G. POMEROY FOUNDATION 2013
By designating Oak Orchard Creek a public highway, the New York Legislature provided the Towns of Shelby and Alabama Superintendents of Highways the authority to clear the creek of obstructions to ensure aid in navigation. It also prevented anyone from obstructing navigation on the creek, subject to a fine of $20 (in 1837) and costs involved in removing such obstacles. Being able to navigate the creek meant farmers and merchants in this remote area could transport goods and products downstream to the mills in Shelby and to the Erie Barge Canal in Medina.