- Grant Recipient
- 121 Bridge Street, Plattsburgh, NY, USA
- 44.6967267, -73.4465462
Clinton County Historical Association
Completed in 1886 by the Delaware & Hudson Canal Company and designed by New York architect Albert W. Fuller, the train station was described in great detail in a May 7, 1886 edition of the Plattsburgh Sentinel:
The architectural appearance of the new depot is fine. The bright red brick wall, with heavy water sheds, window caps and sills and other trimmings of brown sandstone, the symmetrical roof, with dome and spires, all covered with rich black slate, harmonize in a manner pleasing to the eye, and constitute what is said to be the handsomest depot on the line of the company’s roads.
The exquisite design from the exterior of the station carried through into the interior as indicated by the description of the train station’s waiting room:
The waiting room is splendid. It is 88 feet long and 36 feet wide, and is finished wholly in woods of natural color, mostly Georgia pine. The walls are of Terra Cotta color. Rows of large plate glass windows extend along the north side, one story above the track, affording a grand view of Cumberland Bay, Cumberland Head and the north-east part of the village, which cannot fail to charm visitors and render their waiting a pleasure.
This station served travelers as the major terminal for several years, however over time the station fell into a serious state of disrepair. Fortunately the structure was saved and restored in 1983. As of 2020, it still stands much as it did when it first built and continues to serve as train station with the addition of mixed-use commercial space.